Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Croatian Masters



Artist Valentino Radman of Zadar, Croatia, recently started a blog through which he hopes to introduce more of the world to great artists from his country's past. Some of these artists, such as Vlaho Bukovac, are better known to the world, but most of the painters Valentino has so far featured on his blog are unfortunately no longer remembered far from their home. I enjoyed visiting the site, and seeing artwork which was new to me, and look forward to future posts.








6 comments:

Jonathan said...

Some of these resemble Lawrence Alma-Tadema's paintings, they are amazing though in their own right. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Mark Reeder said...

Great post Matthew, who did the one of the old woman in black?

Valentino said...

Matt, thank you for spreading the word on my blog.

Mark, the artist is Mato Celestin Medović. You can read about him
here:
http://tinoradman.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/bela-cikos-sesija-robert-auer-and-medovic/

Artists from top to bottom:
Robert Auer
Vlaho Bukovac
Oton Iveković x2
Mato Celestin Medović x 3

The painting at the bottom is “The Coronation of King Ladislav of Naples”. Note the interesting compositional devices: the canvas is vertically and horizontally divided in two halves, with many smaller subdivisions, interlocking shapes (triangles, for instance). In the middle is the nice, large heart shape which links king and queen.

Mark Reeder said...

Thanks Valentino!

Stanka Kordic said...

Wonderful! way to go ancestors!

billspaintingmn said...

Matthew, Thank you for posting this
information, I enjoy it much.
When I saw the headline "Croatian
Masters", It immediately caught my
interest.
I know little about them. However..
I've discovered an artist as I go
blogging that is from Croatia, and
her work is stunningly wonderful.
I know little , or nothing about her, yet I'm drawen to her site to
see these beautiful paintings.
If you could post some information on this artist I would deeply appreciate it.
Thanks Matthew!
Her name is Stanka Kordic