Friday, February 18, 2011

Michael John Angel on YouTube


Il Professore (Portrait of Michael John Angel) by Juan Martinez, oils, 36 x 26
Collection of Fred and Sherry Ross


The Angel Academy of Art in Florence has posted on YouTube a three-part lecture on the process of training artists in the academic method.  In the films, Academy founder Michael John Angel gives a wonderful presentation on the history of organized art training, and an overview of what students can expect should they commit themselves to the rigorous course of studies his school provides.  Interspersed throughout the videos are examples of student work, and it is easy to see the brilliant results academic training can elicit from artists who train in such a manner.  Hopefully, the Angel Academy of Art will continue with this series and present more of these lectures by the charismatic Maestro Angel.












The Tuscan by Michael John Angel, oil on canvas, 75 x 60 cm


---

7 comments:

John Stone said...

Awesome Find. Wishing I could attend this art school. I was taking notes just from watching these 3 overview videos. Hope they make more.

Michael Bradbury said...

I posted this as well earlier. Glad to see this academic attitude spreading!

innisart said...

I wish I could attend MJA Academy too! I doubt my wife would let me take off for a couple of years to study in Italy, though.

Bonnie Heather said...

Thanks so much for the post. I can only dream.

Deborah Elmquist said...

Excellence takes time, perseverance, and sacrifice. This kind of training cannot be ascertain from a book, a DVD, or a workshop. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome school and its practices. I am truly envious of those that can experience an academic program like the MJA.

Brian David MacNeil said...

I was very happy to have graduated from the Angel Academy of Art. It was a great exerience to have John and the othe intructors push me to my limits and beyond. Matt you should at least go visit the school if you can attend. you woudl like it.

Merewyn said...

He also offers summer workshops that are just wonderful. I was able to attend for 10 days in the summer 2005 and returned with a finished painting using the old masters technique. Wonderful opportunity and a truly inspiring environment and teacher in Mr. Angel. One of my favorite quotes "painting isn't a privilege but rather a discipline" he said in reference to the commitment and work required for quality pieces. Highly recommended experience if you have the chance.