Thursday, August 18, 2011

Illustration Magazine #34





A few days ago I received the latest installment of Illustration Magazine in the mail, and it has quickly become one of my favorite issues (Issue #20, dedicated to Andrew Loomis is still top on my list, but this runs a close second).  Featured in this edition is a 57 page article on artist Tom Lovell, decorated with 67 images of his beautiful artwork.  Though I had probably seen a few illustrations of his when I was younger, I was not fully aware of Lovell's talent until I came across Don Hedgepeth's and Walt Reed's book, The Art of Tom Lovell: An Invitation to History when it was published in 1993.  His paintings blow me away as much now as they did the first time I laid eyes on them, and this magazine issue makes a great supplement to the book, the former showcasing more of Lovell's illustrations, while the latter has a stronger focus on the artist's Western paintings.














6 comments:

Valery Zrazhevskiy said...

I wonder how masterfully done illustrations.This is a great artist.Thank you!:-)

Kevin Mizner said...

I still am enthralled and inspired by the Civil War illustrations he did for the National Geographic Magazine forty years after I first saw them.

John Ennis said...

Great article Matt, thanks for sharing it.

Sandy Donn said...

Awesome. . .thanks for sharing!

Sobre La Loca Y El Flaco said...

Great pictures!

GP said...

I had a Civil War book when I was a kid that had several of his paintings in it. I have been looking all over for it. Does anyone know the book I am talking about?