Sunday, December 18, 2011

Casey Baugh: Step-by-Step



Casey Baugh  -  Dusk  -  9 X 14 in.  oil on panel


This past summer, artist Casey Baugh began a blog so that he could keep his admirers up-to-date on his current projects and activities.  So far, his emphasis has been on offering beautiful,  in-progress photos of his recently completed paintings and drawings.  Only one set of photographs, that of an older work, includes descriptions by the artist, but this gives a good indication of what to expect from his "art-unlayered" series, a parallel project by Baugh which video-documents his work with hi-res photos and full audio commentary.  These video tutorials (4 in all) are available for download from Baugh's site for $15 each.  There you can also watch a free sample of his self-portrait video before deciding to purchase the other lessons.





Dusk  -  Step 1


Dusk  -  Step 2


Dusk  -  Step 3


Dusk  -  Step 4


Dusk  -  Step 5


Dusk  -  9 X 14 in. oil on panel




Ana  -  Step 1


Ana  -  Step 2


Ana  -  Step 3


Ana  -  Step 4


Ana  -  14 X 20 in. oil




No More Common Dress  -  Step 1


No More Common Dress  -  Step 2


No More Common Dress  -  Step 3


No More Common Dress  -  Step 4


No More Common Dress  -  Step 5


No More Common Dress  -  Step 6


No More Common Dress  -  Step 7


No More Common Dress  -  Step 8


No More Common Dress  24 X 16 in. oil


No More Common Dress  -  detail


No More Common Dress  -  detail



13 comments:

Jason de Graaf said...

No corrections or underdrawing at all?

Julie Ford Oliver said...

your work blows me away. Words fail me. I enjoyed the step-by-step of your process. Thank you for sharing.

Mick Carney said...

This is another fabulous post well worth we mere mortals spending a deal of time studying.

innisart said...

@Jason Perhaps he does an initial block-in on his larger work now, but for these, it doesn't appear he did so. He was strongly influenced by Schmid, so this process should come as no surprise. Some people don't like the super-model images he's focussed on lately, but this shows the talent behind those pictures.

In the older demo on his blog ("Aura"?), he drew an outline first, but I don't think that piece is as good as his more recent work (at least in terms of paint handling).

armel said...

Hmm... (Sigh)
I really hate being the mean one, but I don't see the point in his paintings. Lipking, Klein, and other neo/new/brand new realists bring often a very delicate visual poetry to their pictures, and they do not look obviously done from photographs. Pictures aren't great works of art because they look like pictures taken with a camera and a warming/cooling filter, but because they offer an emotional, personal point of view on the subject. They reveal something. Here, I see a Canon/Nikon, etc. point of view with the loose brushwork of Schmid, but in a more superficial way. I think the step 4 of the first picture looks far greater than the finished result. The process itself shows a tendency I could refer as automatic pilot. I see nothing more than like nicely done empty shells done with the technique of others. I know, it's rude, and I don't like being rude.

PS : Matthew, the post on Thomas Sully was great, by the way - as every palette post.

Patrick Lucas said...

Magnifique / Wonderful
Thanks for sharing the progress
I Like it

Jim Serrett said...

Very talented, but I must agree with armel, there is just so much of this snapshot-photoshop-juicy brush work imagery out there that it is boring.

When I see this type of work it leaves me wondering just how much skill this artist really has. (Don't get me wrong Baugh is a very talented and skilled artist, I'd cut a arm off to have some of his ability) But some one needs to ask wtf are you thinking?

That oh wow, it looks like a photo, but it isn't cause I can see all that brush work will end up as big an oddity as the black velvet paintings in the Elvis museum.

Deborah Elmquist said...

I must agree with Armel. The tutorials offer only a small insight into the "how." The real work is in the photography and capturing those alluring posses with the professional lighting. Could he do this from a live model?

jeff said...

For what it's worth, Casey Baugh can do this with a live model.
I'm not into this kind of thing, but it's well done and he has serious chops. It kind of reminds of some of the illustrators from the 50's and 60's who did work similar to this.
I'm not saying illustration is lesser than fine art painting. In fact some of my favorite painters come out of this genre. Dean Cornwell comes to mind.

Bartek Roczniak said...

this is just grate, perfect color handling, just amazing

MunsellColor said...

Casey's paintings are incredible, plus the photos of each piece in process show just how important each stroke becomes in to creation of a complete picture. We think the most impressive start-to-finish progression was the last painting, "No More Common Dress." Well done, Casey and Mathhew!

James Raczkowski said...

Inspirational, I can only hope I will one day paint with such expertise!

c and h said...

WEll I can tell you he can do it from life,,because I just watched him do it.

he was on a time schedule and he pulled off a good one.

But he said typically he spends about 2 weeks on a painting process.