Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Words of Wisdom: Frederic Lord Leighton




"I have the reputation of being a rapid worker, but in reality I am a very steady, slow worker.  I make many experiments before I begin, but when I start I go straight away.  I work with a belief that the deliberate work is the swiftest...  I paint practically all day, according to the work I have in hand...  I consider six hours a very good day's work.  As for waiting for inspiration I have no faith in it.  I am guided by the nature of the task I have in hand.  I take the thing as it comes...  Waiting for the mood, being unable to control oneself, is the stamp of amateurism.  My principle is that one ought always to control oneself."¹

~ Frederic Lord Leighton

¹Cassells Saturday Journal, 1052, January 29, 1896, p. 75.



3 comments:

jane said...

indeed.

dierdra said...

Thank you...I appreciate all that I can glean from another artist that helps me in my daily routine in the studio. Reading a handful of blogs, yours being one, is part of my studio ritual...thanks you

Sharone Powell said...

Thank you very much for posting this. Not only do I adore Leighton but also, as a writer, I share his exact same sentiments when it comes to my work and to my life. Again: A heart felt thanks.