Monday, March 26, 2012

Random Inspiration: Takahiro Hara (b. 1971)


lucia tumbada
72.7 X 100 cm


If you had asked me yesterday who was Takahiro Hara, I am sad to say, I would not have known.  After all, he lives on the other side of the world from me, and despite his obvious talent, his work just did not seem readily available to an American audience (he does not even have a website).  But today, as I checked a new post on Arcadia Gallery's Fine Arts Log, there was an image of a beautiful painting that had just arrived in the gallery from Japan, and I was driven to see more from this outstanding artist.


Sabina
130.3 X 80.3 cm






















There is little information on Hara on the internet.  If it were not for Facebook, even Arcadia Gallery would not have known about this skilled painter.  As it happens, if one of Arcadia's other artists, Aron Wiesenfeld, had not seen the work on Hara's profile page and shown it to the gallery's owner, Steve Diamant, we might all still be in the dark.  






















Hara was born in Fukuyama in 1971.  He graduated from the Department of Fine Art at the Kanazawa College of Art in 1994, and two years later, finished the Graduate Degree program there as well.  In 1999, Hara traveled to Spain, and studied at the National Universidad Complutense de Madrid, where he remained until July of the following year.  In 2004, he returned to the Universidad, and during the summer of 2005, attended classes at the studio of the legendary Antonio López García.  Hara has won many awards in his home country of Japan, and hopefully, through his introduction to the U.S. by Arcadia Gallery, is also set to take this country by storm.


"Unskilled as I am, I want to do it step by step."  ~  Takahiro Hara speaking about his own work.


Hara with Antonio López



























































16 comments:

Robert Ellefson said...

Thanks for sharing this, it's just the dose of inspiration I need right now. Any thoughts on what colors those are on the palette in the last photo? Looks very limited, and that he can just barely squeeze a full value scale out of it.

bernie Liumako said...

I am blown away!...I might be wrong but I see "some" influence from Mr Antonio Garcia on Mr Hara's work, Thanks for sharing!

rahina q.h. said...

brilliant work! so glad you posted this, thank you.

adebanji said...

What a discovery! Great!!!

Jason de Graaf said...

Kickass.

Doug Stotts said...

That's an incredible amount of work at the same high level of competency. I do see Antonio Garcia in some of them more than others, maybe those are some of his earlier things? He's still very young, I wonder how his work will develop. Thanks for introducing him. dougstotts.blogspot.com

Doug Stotts said...

I should have said "brilliance" or something instead of competency

Michal Karmazon said...

Thank you so much Matthew!

janice171 said...

What a great find. I just saw this on the Arcadia website and a subsequent search brought your website up. Some lovely works there, thanks for posting.

jane said...

Lovely work. I am so looking forward to going to the Arcadia Gallery for the first time soon - they seem to show some amazing artists!

Claudio Cerri said...

Stunnig works!!

ghpacific said...

Now I know what to paint, "Jaw on Floor".

BoholstWife said...

wow! my fav is the first one...i can almost feel what she could be feeling.

mrussoart said...

yeah it immediately reminded me Antonio Garcia. Love seeing stuff like this. Thanks for sharing!

Todd said...

Wow, Lucian Freud meets Andrew Wyeth stuff. Nice stuff!

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

me too I immediately thought of Antonio Garcia…. who's work I love